This week’s highlight belongs to the one and only Sarmad Najem, aka HairBySarmad. Sarmad is not only an artist that specializes in color makeovers and transformations, but also an educator! When it comes to Instagram, Sarmad is the king of creating fun videos that give you a sneak peak into his typical client appointment.
How long have you been a hairstylist?
- I have been doing hair for more than 12 years.
What sparked your passion for hair?
- I have always been interested in beauty, fashion & hair. Growing up surrounded by a large extended family that included so many women, I was constantly grooming & experimenting with all that hair!
If you could shadow any stylist for a day, who would you choose and why?
- I would love to shadow Justin Anderson. His blondes are amazing & his techniques fascinate me.
Favorite Fanola product and why?
- My favorite Fanola product (among many I adore!) is the Free No Yellow Vegan Shampoo. I love working with it because of the amazing scent, the highly pigmented color & how effective it is for creating & maintaining the cool ash tones. Another favorite is the No Orange Shampoo, it’s so nice to have products that compliment blondes and brunettes! I’m super excited for the No Orange Vegan version to launch!
What Fanola product would best describe you?
- The Fanola product that best describes me is the Oro Therapy Diamond Regenerating Fluid because it is so intense, concentrated and makes hair beautiful & shiny.
What are some challenges you have faced in this industry and how did you overcome them?
- My career as a stylist has been a journey of consistently learning and developing my skills through experience and experimenting. The challenge is always how to grow and become better at what I do, as everything that happens presents another opportunity to learn.
What advice would you give to someone who is just starting out from cosmetology school?
- I would recommend that aspiring hair artists should follow their creative instincts and passion. Find work in a salon with people who inspire, teach & support you. Social media is a great way to network with other stylists all over the world and also build clientele.
Where do you see yourself in 5 years in this industry, what are your goals?
- I want to travel the world in the next few years hosting classes and interacting with other creative professionals. Growing & bettering myself and my craft is my constant goal.